I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University (Sechenov University)
Year of foundation: 1758
Total students: 17,000 / International students: 2,500
Faculties: 7 / Departments: 130
Rector: Pyotr Glybochko
Sechenov University is the oldest, largest and most prestigious medical higher education institution in Russia, a major center for training, certification and upgrading medical personnel and pharmacists, and recognized leader of innovation in medical education.
The university provides a diverse and inclusive environment that fosters intellectual discovery, creates and transmits innovative knowledge and improves human health. Education is carried out in 14 medical-biological and pharmaceutical specialties at eight faculties and more than 150 departments.
The university incorporates 69 educational venues, 22 hospitals with over 3,500 beds, seven research institutes and five RAS R&D units, more than 30 laboratories, the largest medical library in Europe, a botanical garden, and many other facilities that ensure academic excellence, resulting in powerful research and innovative advances along with cutting-edge medical care practices.
- Personalized and translational medicine
- Clinical and health research
- Regenerative and molecular medicine
- Biotechnologies and biocompatible materials
- IT in healthcare
International collaboration and partnerships
International collaboration agreements cover a broad range of foreign universities and organizations, including:
- World Health Organization
- World Federation for Medical Education
- Association of University Programs for Health Administration
- World Organization of National Colleges, Academies and Academic Associations of General Practitioners/Family Physicians
- European Health Management Association
- World Association for Medical Law
- International Science and Technology Center
- Open Society Foundations (formerly Open Society Institute)
- International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War
- German Academic Exchange Service
- Universities in Australia, Great Britain, Germany, Denmark, Canada, Israel, Norway, France, The Netherlands, USA, Switzerland, Portugal, Serbia and Montenegro.
Sechenov University is a co-founder of the Association of Sino-Russian Medical Universities.
- Renat Akchurin, Soviet and Russian cardiac surgeon
- Mehriban Aliyeva, president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador
- Oleg Atkov, Soviet and Russian physician and cosmonaut
- Leo Bokeria, leading Russian heart surgeon, scientist and medical science organiser
- Maksim Konchalovskiy, distinguished Soviet and Russian physician, outstanding clinician, founder of school of clinic of internal diseases
- Sergey Korsakov, distinguished Russian psychiatrist
- Alexander Myasnikov, distinguished cardiologist
- Nikolay Pirogov, distinguished Russian surgeon and anatomist
- Valentin Pokrovskiy, Soviet and Russian epidemiologist
- Ivan Sechenov, distinguished Russian physiologist
- Nikolai Sklifosovsky, prominent Russian surgeon and clinician
- Anton Chekhov, playwright and physician