South Ural State University (National Research University) (SUSU)
Established: 1943 as Chelyabinsk Mechanical Engineering Institute, in 1951 the institution was reorganized as Chelyabinsk Polytechnic University, and in 1990 as Chelyabinsk State Technical University. Since 1997 it has had the name of South Ural State University. In April 2010 the university was awarded the category of “national research university”.
The university structure includes 7 institutes and 26 faculties including military education, pre-university training, 2 faculties of retraining and advanced training for university-trained specialists, 136 chairs, and 10 branches.
SUSU holds classes on 200 bachelor, specialist and master degree programs in the technical, scientific, social, humanitarian and economic fields, 91 postgraduate degree programs, doctorate degree can be received on 13 specialities, 18 dissertation councils operate for doctoral and master's theses defenses.
Currently there are 40 000 students studying at the university, including 2 000 international students from 37 countries; more than 3 000 academic and administrative staff ensure the studying process.
SUSU intensively develops international activities in the scientific, educational and cultural fields. As of the end of 2015, the university has signed more than 100 contracts and agreements with the leading foreign universities and organizations from such countries as People’s Republic of China, Kazakhstan, Finland, Germany, Czech Republic, Bulgaria and others. The university actively cooperates with the missions of the Russian Federal Agency “Rossotrudnichestvo” from all over the world. South Ural State University is an active member of the largest union of the leading Russian and Chinese technical universities – the Association of Sino-Russian technical universities (ASRTU), as well as a part of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization University and other large educational and scientific unions. The university implements a wide variety of exchange programs with Chinese universities, summer schools, double degree programs, as well as joint master degree programs (with the Clark University (USA) and Lappeenranta University of Technology (Finland)). All international academic programs are available for SUSU students, including the foreign citizens.
- Victor Khristenko, chairman of the board of the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC)
- Mikhail Yurevich, former governor of the Chelyabinsk region
- Vladimir Myakush, chairman of the Legislative Assembly of Chelyabinsk region
- Valeriy Gartung, deputy head of the parliamentary group “Spravedlivaya Rossiya”
- Ruslan Gattarov, deputy governor of the Chelyabinsk region
- Denisov Kirill, a Russian judoist, European champion in Budapest, 2013 and the 1st European games 2015 in Baku
- Evgeniy Roshal, a Russian programmer, a developer of the file manager FAR, WinRAR archiver, compression format RAR
Most of the graduates became the heads of the largest industrial enterprises of the country:
- Industrial Group “Metran”,
- Chelyabinsk Tractor Plant,
- Urals Automotive Plant,
- Chelyabinsk Metallurgical Complex “Mechel”,
- Chelyabinsk Electrometallurgical Complex,
- Production Association “Mayak”,
- Federal science and production center “Stankomash” and others.